Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Kim Koning Bleeds Ink

Today, I welcome Kim Koning to No Vacation from Speculation. Kim is a wonderfully talented author, but she's also a kickass individual with whom I share lots of interests! You better be clapping your ass off for Kim. And I can see you are, so we'll proceed...

Kim Koning is participating in the 12 Days of Creepfest and the Holiday Hop with me, so make sure to get a-hopping after learning a bit about her. Head to her blog and the many other blogs along the way to enter giveaways for books, prize packs, and even a Kindle Fire!!



I see ghosts and tell tales of their visits.
I write by the light of the moon and under the gaze of the stars.
Draw up a chair, light a candle, close the windows and let me weave you stories of darkness and gateways of light.
(Kim Koning)

Imagine a favorite main character from one of your works. What famous literary character would be his or her best friend?
It would probably be Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights. My character is a vengeful ghost child... I think she would have much in common with Heathcliff.


How intriguing!! What do you love most about being a writer?The ability to weave new worlds and re-imagine existing or past worlds and the freedom to become someone else and be in character when writing a story but also being most myself when writing.


It's an amazing feeling, isn't it? Of course, during this time of year, it can be hard to focus on story craft. Does holiday madness inspire or hinder your writing?
Goodness it can do both...depending which holiday...Christmas and New Years inspire my writing because it is at these times we think of those who have passed on from our lives. The power of writing is that you can bring them to life in facets of your characters or use their stories to inspire your own stories.I love the nostalgia and the sentimentality of Christmas.


What is your favorite holiday story?
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.


What kind of scene is the most fun for you to write?
I love writing scenes of hauntings when the veil between the living and spirits fall for just a moment...I love writing about fear and what we fear no matter how irrational. I think our fears make us who we are as much as our joys.


Those sound like awesome scenes! And I completely agree about fears making us who were are. If you had to be stuck on an island for a year with three literary characters, who would they be?
Wow...this is a difficult one. There are so many and I only get to choose 3. Well the first would have to be Heathcliff from Wuthering Heights, the second would be Jay Gatsby from The Great Gatsby and the third would be Alice from Alice and Wonderland.


And you would be a very interesting quartet indeed!! A freak accident gave you super writing powers. Describe the accident.
MMhh...the possibilities here are endless. I would say that I went for a Tattoo but while the Tattooist was inserting the needle my fingers twitched and instead of blood welling up from the tattoo, ink started welling up. Now I do not need to use a pen to write, because I bleed ink through the tips of my fingers and whenever I touch something or someone a story bleeds out from my fingers. Now I must wander the earth telling every story that I feel with the touch of my fingers and with each story I change a person's life.


That sounds....AWESOME!! I'm going to request the Kim Koning treatment the next time I get a tattoo!!

Thanks for hosting me on "No Vacation from Speculation" Jessica. It was a lot of fun.
Happy Creepfest!
Thank you so much for being here, Kim!! It was a sheer delight!! Our time with Kim might be over, droogies, but you still have plenty to do. Make sure to visit all of the wonderful links to Kim's writing across the web. She is a must-follow on Twitter and she currently has a GIVEAWAY going on at her blog. Once you've visited Kim, don't forget to visit all of the other rad writers across both hops!



Open the gateway of darkness at: http://kimkoning.com/wp

She can be found Wrestling the Muse : http://kimkoning.wordpress.com/

She can also be found on twitter @AuthorKimKoning

Like her facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Kim.M.Koning?sk=app_106171216118819

Kim's first short story is available in this anthology along with 33 other great authors including The Neil Gaiman:

http://randomstatic.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=51

(I am also giving away an ebook copy of this anthology on my blog "Wrestling the Muse" for Creepfest in a Creepmas Contest.)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me Jessica! It was a an honour to be on "No vacation from Speculation"...
    As for the tattoo treatment, you will be pleased to note that I am awaiting a patent on it and the moment it is ready to bleed into existence, you can be the second person to get it...I already got the first spot :)
    Ah Girl - your intro had me blushing - a rare occurrence indeed...
    Happy Creepfest everyone!
    I leave you with this warning: Beware the ghosts that walk beside you, heed their words and their tales will haunt you...
    Merry Christmas everyone!
    - Kim
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are creepy I love it
    teressaoliver at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete